Visa and Immigration Advice

Your Access to Germany

Who needs a visa? It’s a big world, and requirements to enter Germany can vary depending on your home country. Generally, non-EU students need to apply for a visa.

Students from these areas do not need a visa or residence permit for Germany.

  • EU
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway

They receive a "Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung" (freedom of movement certificate) upon registering with the local authorities.

Students from these areas do not need a visa to enter Germany.

  • Andorra
  • Australia (including the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Norfolk Island, Christmas Island)
  •  Brazil
  • Canada
  • El Salvdor
  • Honduras
  •  Israel
  • Japan
  •  Monaco
  • New Zealand (including the Cook Islands, Niue, and Tokelau)
  •  San Marino
  • Republic of South Korea
  •  Switzerland
  • USA (including the US Virgin Islands,
    American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Northern Mariana Islands)

You will be required to apply for a residence permit upon enrolment.


All other students require a German student visa (issued by a German Embassy or Consulate) before entering Germany.

If you are not sure about the process, please contact our international recruiting team.

Even if you come from a country (other than those already mentioned) whose citizens can enter Germany with a simple travel visa, you must have a German student visa to apply for the residence permit. If you don't have it, you will have to return to your home country.

This rule applies both to holders of a residence permit from another EU country and to persons who entered Germany with a visitor's visa. There are no exceptions to this rule.


Further Information

How to apply
Campus Events
Contact us

Master Studies
Bachelor Studies

Share on:
Print page